Over the course of the class, you should have learned about many topics in psychology.Select any THREE (3) main concepts from the list below that you would like to define (in your own words), provide an example, and explain your example in a way that demonstrates that it is an example given the definition of the concept (more on what to do below). If there is (are) concept(s) you’d like to use for this assignment that does (do) not appear on the list, you MUST get prior written approval from your instructor to use that concept.
Concept Choices:• A concept of your own choosing (must get prior written approval from your instructor)
• Confidentiality (as it pertains to research)
• Fight or Flight
• Head injuries
• Positive Reinforcement and Positive Punishment
• Mnemonics/Study techniques
• Tolerance (as it pertains to drug use)
• Substance dependence
• Nature vs. nurture
• Parenting styles (you must discuss all of them)
• Erikson’s stages of psycho social development
• Availability heuristic
• Unconditional positive regard
When you have chosen your three concepts (or had them approved by your instructor), please do thefollowing for EACH CONCEPT:
1. How would you define, IN YOUR OWN WORDS, what the concept is?
2. Give an example of the concept either from your own life OR from current events. So, the example, of the concept, could either be one from your own life or, perhaps, it is something that you have recently heard about in the news/media. Be sure to give enough information about your example so that your instructor understands it.
3. Please give a thorough explanation about how the example you provided relates back to (or demonstrates) the definition you gave for the concept. You should be relating the example back to the definition so that it is evident how the example illustrates/demonstrates the definition of the concept.The following is an example of what you would be doing if the concept you chose was “the false consensus effect”:
The false consensus effect is when an individual overestimates how typical their own beliefs are, and assumes that everyone shares their beliefs and feelings about something. For example, I am an avid Beyoncé fan and am in love with her new album! When I meet new people I love to talk about Bey and baby Blue. Beyoncé is everything! Everyone should love her. Right? I mean, I love her. The reason that this is an example of the false consensus effect is because I am under the impression that it is normal for me to love Beyoncé, and that everyone loves Beyoncé just as much as I do. However, this is a false belief. In fact, it is possible that, in general, not everyone likes or admires Beyoncé, and that just because I like her it does not mean that everyone else likes her.(DO NOT USE THIS EXAMPLE!!)
• Your entire writing assignment should be:
o 2 pages (you will not lose points if it’s longer),
o Times New Roman 12-point font,
o with 1-inchmargins on all sides (please note that the default in Microsoft Word is 1.25
o inches on the right and left, so you’ll need to change that).
o Your writing assignment should be saved as a Microsoft Word document (.doc or .docx).
• Your writing assignment should be written in ESSAY form, with complete sentences and paragraphs:
o Paragraph 1: introductory paragraph
o Paragraph 2: 1st concept (definition, example, and explanation)
o Paragraph 3: 2nd concept (definition, example, and explanation)
o Paragraph 4: 3rd concept (definition, example, and explanation)
o Paragraph 5: concluding paragraph