SUPERVISION CASE STUDY
For this assignment, consider the following scenario:
Pat lives in Iowa and received his BCBA certificate one year ago. He is contacted by Juan, a BCBA candidate, who lives in the Dominican Republic. Due to the shortage of BCBAs in the Dominican Republic, Juan has been unable to find a supervisor to complete the supervision requirements before he can sit for his BCBA exam. Juan speaks English and Spanish; many of his clients only speak Spanish. Pat, however, only speaks English.
Respond to the following questions:
- What risks of ineffective supervision are present in this situation?
- What additional challenges are present when working with a supervisee who comes from a different country or culture?
- What complications are present with the use of online-only supervision instead of in-person supervision?
- What points should Pat consider to determine whether he can effectively provide supervision for Juan?
- What steps would Pat need to take to be an effective supervisor if he decides to take on Juan as a supervisee?
In addition, recommend ways, supported by professional literature, for psychology professionals to enhance their cultural competence.
Be sure to support your responses using the BCBA/BCaBA Task List (5th ed.), the BACB Ethics Code for Behavior Analysts [PDF], and any other appropriate academic references.
Your assignment should also meet the following requirements:
- Written communication: Employ academic communication skills that are scholarly, professional, and respectful of the diversity, dignity, and integrity of others, in a manner consistent with members of the counseling profession. Use current APA guidelines for grammar, punctuation, and mechanics.
- Length: 4â€“6 double-spaced pages, excluding the cover page and references list. Include page numbers, headings, and running heads. No abstract is required.
- References: Use scholarly research articles that are no more than five years old to support your work. Refer to the Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) Research Guide for help finding resources.
- Format: Use current APA style and formatting, paying particular attention to citations and references. Review the Evidence and APA section of the Writing Center for guidance.
Your work will be evaluated using this criteria.
By successfully completing this assignment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and scoring guide criteria:
- Competency 1: Describe professional competence in the practice of applied behavior analysis.
- Competency 2: Analyze ethical issues in the practice of applied behavior analysis.
- Competency 3: Apply ethical principles and standards to the practice of applied behavior analysis.
- Competency 4: Apply multicultural competence to professional relationships and the practice of applied behavior analysis.
- Competency 5: Describe the application of the principles of behavior in supervisory practices.
- Competency 6: Communicate in a manner that is scholarly and consistent with expectations for professionals in the field of psychology.