Research Article Appraisal, Part One Assignment
Over the next two weeks, you will spend time reading at a deeper level about how nursing research is done. At the same time, you will read the nursing research article that has been selected for this course, and examine it closely for the same things you have been reading about in the textbook. Your assignment will help you break down each section of the article so that you can learn to look at nursing research articles a bit more closely and, hopefully, apply to your clinical practice. Additional resources for appraisal include the mini-lecture and chapter 18 in Gray, Grove, and Sutherland (2017) and Library Resources.
A major skill that is learned in this course is how to critically read and appraise nursing research articles according to the guideline found in your textbook. The purpose for appraising an article is to critically evaluate the research process followed by the author(s) of the assigned article. This is an information-intensive, time-intensive process that is not learned overnight. To demonstrate your skill at appraising an article, you will complete this open-book assignment.
Here’s how you should approach completing this weekâ€™s assignment to begin appraising an article:
1. First, do your assigned reading in Gray, Grove, and Sutherland (2017) each week. This will introduce you to the critique skills you will need for the week.
2. Skim the entire instructor assigned research article that has been posted on CANVAS in Module 1 Reading and on the assignment for you so that you will have an idea of what it is about. For this week, re-read carefully the introduction/literature review /theoretical framework and methods sections of the article again.
3. Print the Research Article Appraisal, Part One Assignment and find the best answer to each question based on your Gray, Grove, and Sutherland (2017) assigned readings and on what you have read in the instructor assigned research article.
4. Some of the questions in the critique assignment below will seem unfamiliar to you. Look up key terms from the question in your textbook. Some examples of these terms might be problem statements, hypotheses, or variables. You can also look in Chapter 18 for an example of a critical appraisal of a quantitative research article.
5. You will write a formal paper for this assignment using the paper guideline found below, including APA, citations, and reference page. Do not leave the questions in the paper, do not use a template for this paper. Once completed, upload your assignment to the assignment submission link by the time and date listed on the Course Schedule.
6. Feedback will be provided after all assignments for this week have been entered for credit.
If you have questions about this assignment, you can post them to the Coach Group Discussion Board for help. Please do not post the exact question from the assignment below and ask the group for the answer as this would constitute academic dishonesty.
Your assigned article for an appraisal is: