NU-664C-02-23PCS3 FamilyPsychiatric Ment.Hlth I
- My courses
- Week 3 Discussion 1: What Factors Influence Self-Injurious Behavior?
Week 3 Discussion 1: What Factors Influence Self-Injurious Behavior?
To do: Make forum posts: 1
Value: 100 points
Due: In an effort to facilitate scholarly discourse, create your initial post by Day 4, and reply to at least two of your classmates, on two separate days, by Day 7.
Grading Category: Discussions
Note: In this type of discussion, you will not see the responses of your classmates until after you have posted your own response to the question below.
Review the Self-Harm website.
Watch the videos:
5 Not Obvious Signs of Self Harm (4:16 minutes)
Self Harm: What is it About? (12:00 minutes)
Self-injurious behavior is a manifestation of maladaptive coping.
- Discuss some biological, social, and psychological causes that may explain why young people engage in self-injurious behaviors.
- Choose one self-injurious behavior that you would like to learn more about.
- Discuss what the research says about the etiology or the causative factors for this behavior.
- What evidence-based treatment modalities have been recognized as helpful in managing these behaviors?
Reply to at least two of your classmates. In your reply posts, discuss the treatment modalities in your peers’ post in relation to the treatment modality that you identified in your initial post. Are they similar or different? Reflect on whether or not stigma affects healthcare professionals’ attitudes toward treatment for this type of self-injurious behavior.
Pick out an idea from your peersâ€™ initial post that you find most interesting and tell how you will use this information in practice.
Please refer to the Discussion Board Grading Rubric for details on how this activity will be graded. The described expectations meet the passing level of 80%. Students are directed to review the Discussion Grading Rubric for criteria which exceed expectation
I will upload the transcript of the video via email