- Research Topic: Your course faculty will provide you with topic/s for this assignment. Please check the NR503 Course Announcements.
- Identify your target population (for instance, age or other demographic, aggregate population); this must be in your city or state.
- Discuss population-based health education interventions for your target population that is aimed at reducing morbidity and mortality for the problem. Be sure to review the research literature and HP2020 for interventions.
- Identify how and what data for interventions is being tracked.
- In a four (4) page paper, address the following. Refer to rubric for expanded details related to grading expectations.
- Identify the problem in the introduction section.
- Provide an overview of the problem in your state/national.
- Review of descriptive epidemiological and demographic data on mortality/morbidity and risk.
- HP2020: Present the goal, overview and objectives of Healthy People 2020 for the paper topic.
- Population level prevention and health promotion review. Describe population and/or primary health care focused interventions. Use of scholarly literature and HP2020 is required. There should be direct correlation to evidence for all strategies.
Best Practices in Preparing the Project
- Review directions and rubric through carefully.
- Follow submission requirements.
- Make sure all elements on the grading rubric are included. Organize the paper using the rubric sections and appropriate headings to match the sections.
- Rules of grammar, spelling, word usage, and punctuation are followed and consistent with formal, scientific writing.
- Title page, running head, body of paper, and reference page must follow APA guidelines as found in the current edition of the manual. This includes the use of headings for each section of the paper except for the introduction where no heading is used.
- Ideas and information that come from scholarly literature must be cited and referenced correctly.
- A minimum of three (3) scholarly literature references must be used. Not all references should be from scholarly web sites. You may use your textbook, but this will not count towards the three (3) scholarly literature references.
- Length: Papers not adhering to the page length may be returned to you for editing to meet the length guidelines.
- Adhere to the Chamberlain College of Nursing academic policy on integrity as it pertains to the submission of your own original work for assignments.
This week, we will explore descriptive epidemiology and how it informs the understanding of disease. The readings and work will focus on topics connected to screening tools, what data informs their usefulness, and guidelines that advanced practice nurses’ use on a regular basis in their role as clinicians across the lifespan or with the geriatric/adult population. Lastly this week the HP2020 Impact Paper is due as your first assignment.
This Weekâ€™s Learning Outcomes:
1: Define key terms in epidemiology, community health, and population-based research. (PO 2)
2: Compare study designs used for obtaining population health information from surveillance, observation, community, and control trial based research. (PO 2)
3: Identify appropriate outcome measures and study designs applicable to epidemiological subfields such as infectious disease, chronic disease, environmental exposures, reproductive health, and genetics. (PO 2, 3)
4: Apply commonly used measures of health risk. (PO 2)
6: Identify important sources of epidemiological data. (PO 2)
7: Evaluate a public health problem in terms of magnitude, person, time, and place. (PO 2, 3)