Personal Cultural Reflection
As someone working in the social and behavior services field, it is important that you are aware of your personal culture and how your belief system impacts your perspective of the world around you. This is especially important in the workplace, where you will most likely encounter diversity.
For this assignment, reflect on the article by Hays, “Looking Into the Clinician’s Mirror,” which you read in Unit 6. Using that article as a catalyst, reflect upon your personal culture. In addition to the article you may use any of the optional resources offered in the study and repeated in the Resources for this assignment. You are also welcome to find your own resource that promotes self-awareness of diversity issues and cultural assumptions.
Characterize your personal culture by including the following in your personal cultural reflection:
- Socioeconomic status.
- Gender identity and sexual orientation.
- Ethnicity and race.
- Religion and traditions.
- Family beliefs and values.
- Privilege and oppression.
- Personal cultural strengths.
- Personal cultural needs
Make sure to discuss the address the following components in your reflection:
- Characterize your personal culture through your demographics, values, and beliefs.
- Analyze how the Hays article and other selected resources increased awareness of personal assumptions, values, and biases.
- Analyze personal values that could have a positive and negative impact your ability to work with others.
- Identify at least two assumptions that stem from your beliefs and values.
- Analyze how awareness of personal assumptions, values, and biases can be beneficial in the social and behavioral services field.
- Written communication: Written communication is free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- APA formatting: Resources and citations are formatted according to APA current edition style and formatting.
- Number of resources: Minimum of 1 resource.
- Length of paper: 4–5 typed double-spaced pages, not including required cover sheet and reference page. No abstract required.
- Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12 point.