This reflection is comprised of 2 sections, collectively totaling a minimum of 500 words. This reflection activity is meant to help build your knowledge around theory and practice in preparation for your competency assessment.
Complete your reflection by responding to all prompts.
1) Theory-Practice Gap
Fundamentals of Nursing Models, Theories, and Practice discusses the theory-practice gap in detail in many chapters. As you have read throughout the course, there is ongoing discussion about the connection between theory and practice and the application in day-to-day nursing activities. This reflection is designed to illustrate that although there may be a gap, other factors play an important role in decision-making and each aspect of theory, research, and practice experience are integral to well-rounded patient care.
Access Fundamentals of Nursing Models, Theories, and Practice and review Figure 1.4 Correlation: Education, Science and Practice.
Think of a scenario in which theory, research, and practice interact to create positive patient outcomes and answer the following:
- Describe the chosen theory, research, and practice guideline or standard.
- Explain the relationship between the three and discuss the role each plays in quality patient care in the scenario.
- Explain any gaps, such as a lack of research, no practice standard, or no usable theory.
- Determine the best course of action for making decisions in the absence of one aspect.
Include documentation of the practice guideline or standard and your corresponding research, evidence, or literature example.
Cite your research and practice guidelines in the text.
2) Theory Application
Consider the following questions:
- What is your biggest takeaway from this course?
- How will you apply theory in practice in the future?
Please follow APA guidelines for in-text citations and references.
Submit your reflection. 500 words