Socialization is a lifelong process during which we learn about social expectations and how to interact with other people. Nearly all of the behavior that we consider to be ‘human nature’ is actually learned through socialization. And, it is during socialization that we learn how to walk, talk, and feed ourselves, about behavioral norms that help us fit in to our society, and so much more.
- Review Chapter 4
- Project: Start to create a PowerPoint presentation on Agents of Socialization, adding contents from chapter 4.
Review Chapter 9
Project: Finish PowerPoint on the Agents of Socialization adding concepts from chapter 9
Directions: In this final assignment you are going to choose a famous person-politician, entertainer, doctor, athlete, etc—examples, not limited to: President Barack Obama, Mayor Antonio R. Villaraigosa, Rosa Parks, Nancy Pelosi, Condoleezza Rice, Serena and Venus Williams, Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, Martin Luther King, Malcolm X, Mahatma Gandhi.
- Some agents you can focus on are: Family, school, peers, beliefs, religion, and media.
- Once you have identified who you are going to research you will create a PowerPoint describing the most important agents of socialization in this person’s life.
- Information on this topic can also be found on pages 80 and 266 in your “Power and Society” textbook.
To successfully complete your PowerPoint
- Be sure to use pictures and creativity in your presentation and copy and paste the links to the websites into the PowerPoint presentation to show the references you used.
- Use information based on the readings in the textbook and information from other sources to explain the reasoning that these are the most important agents of socialization in this person’s life.
- Include the website links (reference slide) in their discussion postings and PowerPoint in order that the entire class can read about this famous person. Each student will identify patterns in the socialization process to share with the class.
- Your PowerPoint presentation should be at least 10 slides long and should show creativity. This program has several features that can help enhance your project, try to utilize as much as possible. You are being graded on your research and response to the question, creativity and responses to other classmates.
To receive full credit you need to respond to each classmate that has commented on your PowerPoint presentation and respond to two other classmates outside of your own discussion thread.
PLEASE NOTE: I WILL PROVIDE THE STUDENTS DISSCUSSIONS ONCE THEY POST