NU-650-15-23PCSP Adv Hlth Assessment/Nursing
- My courses
- Week 12: Reproductive Assessment
- Week 12 Discussion 1: Sexuality and Gender in Healthcare
Week 12 Discussion 1: Sexuality and Gender in Healthcare
Done: View To do: Make forum posts: 1
Value: 100 points
Due: Create your initial post by Day 3. Reply to at least two of your classmates by Day 7.
Grading Category: Assignments: Discussions/Journal
Please refer to the Grading Rubric for details on how this activity will be graded.
The described expectations meet the passing level of 80%. Students are directed to review the Discussion Grading Rubric for criteria that which exceed expectations.
The purpose of this discussion is to consider how members of the LGBTQIA+ community are marginalized by current healthcare practices.
**Please note the following:
- Scholarly sources include current peer-reviewed sources, practice guidelines from professional organizations, and databases used for clinical decisions making (such as UpToDate). Your course materials, textbooks, and websites do not count as scholarly sources.
- In order to obtain full credit, you must interact on more than three days. Posting your initial post and each peer post on a different day for three days total is only an 8/10 for this section of the rubric. An additional post that is substantive and adds to the conversation (not just â€œI agreeâ€ or â€œnice workâ€) is required to get 10/10 in this area of the rubric.
- A 100 in the discussion means you have exceeded the minimum requirements and the faculty does not have any suggestions for room for improvement for you.
First, briefly describe the difference between gender and sexuality and why it is important to not make assumptions regarding either. Next, choose a group of individuals that belong to the LGBTQIA+ population (for example, transgender males). Discuss how this group experiences barriers to care as it relates to their gender and/or sexuality. Your initial post should use at least three scholarly sources to support your description of how the relationship and/or assessment may be affected.
Please respond to a minimum of two peersâ€™ initial posts. Your reply post should include strategies that you plan to incorporate into your practice in order to minimize the barriers to care discussed in your peerâ€™s initial post. Please be sure to use at least two scholarly sources in each of your response posts.