Carl Rogers and his patient-centered approach to therapy. The core of Rogersâ€™ therapeutic approach involves 1) trying to genuinely understand the client, 2) genuinely and unconditionally caring about the client, and 3) being authentic in the therapeutic relationship.
- What do you think of these conditions for change, growth, and drawing out the potential of the client?
- Are there aspects of his approach you have concerns about or disagree with?
- What do you like and dislike most about his approach?
- How is empathy, therapeutic communication, and positive regard integrated into this therapy modality?
- What diagnoses would you correlate best with this therapy modality, and why?
- American Psychiatric Association. (2013). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (5th ed.).
- American Psychiatric Publishing, Inc.
- Corey, G. (2016). Theory and practice of counseling and psychotherapy (10th ed.). Cengage.