Racial and Ethnic Disparities
Using 500 to 750 words, address the following:
- What are the racial and ethnic health disparities in the United States, and why do they exist?
- What are two policies to address racial and ethnic health disparities? Make clear if they are policies adopted, proposed, or ones you would recommend.
Cite additional sources beyond the Learning Materials for this week.
- Almendrala, A., & Galewitz, P. (24 January 2020). Despite New Doubts: Hotspotting Help For Heavy Health Care Users Marches On. Kaiser Health News. Retrieved from https://khn.org/news/despite-new-doubts-hotspotting-help-for-heavy-health-care-users-marches-on/.
- Gwande, A. (24 January, 2011). The Hot Spotters. The New Yorker. Retrieved from https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2011/01/24/the-hot-spotters.
Harvard School Public Health Lectures
- Register for the free Harvard course: United States Health Policy.
- Follow the links to register and enroll as a student for this course.
- Select “View Archived Course.”
- Scroll down to see a list of sessions and topics listed under each session.
- Open Session 7.2: US Public Health Policy.
- Watch the videos in Topics 1â€“8 under Session 7.2.
- Frontline: Season 2011â€”Episode 12: Doctor Hotspot Video (13:01 minutes). Retrieved from https://www.pbs.org/video/frontline-doctor-hotspot/.
- Munoz, P., Kim, M., & Chang, M. (2015). The Color of Wealth in Boston. Retrieved from https://www.bostonfed.org/publications/one-time-pubs/color-of-wealth.aspx.
- Healthy People 2020: (n.d.). Social Determinants of Health. Retrieved from: https://www.healthypeople.gov/2020/topics-objectives/topic/social-determinants-of-health.
- Hayes, S., Riley, P., & Radley, D. (24 August, 2017). Reducing Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Access to Care. Has the Affordable Care Act Made a Difference? The Commonwealth Fund. Retrieved from https://www.commonwealthfund.org/publications/issue-briefs/2017/aug/reducing-racial-and-ethnic-disparities-access-care-has.
- Derose, K., Gresenz, C., & Ringel, J. (October 2011). Understanding Disparities In Health Care Accessâ€”And Reducing Themâ€”Through A Focus On Public Health. Health Affairs, 30(10). Retrieved from https://www.healthaffairs.org/doi/full/10.1377/hlthaff.2011.0644.
- Hostetter, M., & Klein, S. (27 September, 2018). In Focus: Reducing Racial Disparities in Health Care by Confronting Racism. The Commonwealth Fund. Retrieved from https://www.commonwealthfund.org/publications/newsletter-article/2018/sep/focus-reducing-racial-disparities-health-care-confronting.
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. (2018). 2018 National Healthcare Quality and Disparities Reportâ€”Executive Summary (PPT). Retrieved from https://www.ahrq.gov/sites/default/files/wysiwyg/research/findings/nhqrdr/2018qdr-es.pptx
- Begley, S. (15 June, 2020). To understand whoâ€™s dying of Covid-19, look to social factors like race more than pre-existing diseases. STAT. Retrieved from https://www.statnews.com/2020/06/15/whos-dying-of-covid19-look-to-social-factors-like-race/.