NUR 520 Project Three Guidelines and Rubric
In this project, you will demonstrate your mastery of the following competency:
- Synthesize evidence to inform clinical decision making
The ultimate goal of biostatistics and epidemiology is to make decisions that can guide clinical and public health practice. To make these decisions, you cannot rely on single studies. Instead, you must assess the evidence from multiple different studies to determine whether that evidence is sufficient to make a particular decision.
As an MSN professional nurse, you will be tasked with making decisions and providing justification around that decision. At times this is presented in a larger setting. Presentation skills are a valuable asset for the MSN professional nurse.
For this project, create a presentation where you will pick a particular treatment and disease relationship (for example, metformin and diabetes or statins and high cholesterol) and assess the evidence based on Hill’s causality to determine whether it is sufficient to make a decision. You will base this decision on evidence for causality based on the Hill criteria and the sufficient/necessary/component conception of causality. You will also pick a particular population that you are interested in working with (such as female infants or men over 65 years of age) and determine whether your findings are generalizable to this population. Finally, you will apply systems thinking and collaboration skills to present your decision and justification. Provide specific evidence from at least five scholarly sources to support your claims and include detailed speaker notes with your presentation.
Specifically, include the following in your presentation:
- Determine Causality: Assess evidence and examine the types of causes.
- Apply the Hill criteria to identify whether there is adequate evidence for each of the criteria concerning the exposure/disease relationship.
- Determine if this exposure is a sufficient necessary component cause for your disease and explain how and why you made that determination.
- Assess the Generalizability of the Findings: Assess applicability to the client population to inform clinical decision making using evidence-based practice.
- Determine if the findings from this study apply to your client population. Note: Determine applicability in terms of the country or region where the study was done, race/ethnicity, socioeconomic status, and so on.
- Provide the Decision and Justification: Utilize systems thinking to inform the decision and provide justification. Specifically, include the following:
- Provide the decision and rationale.
- Determine how the decision is going to affect stakeholders.
- Determine if this is plausible to do at your current or previous workplace.
What to Submit
To complete this project, you must submit the following:
Project Three The submission should be an 8- to 10-slide PowerPoint presentation, including title slide, references slide, and speaker notes. Sources should be cited according to APA style.
Treatment/disease relationship for reference: Diuretics and heart failure
Articles to use in completing assignment:
Mullens, W., & Damman, K. (2019). Response to letters on â€œThe use of diuretics in heart failure with congestion â€“ a position statement from the Heart Failure Association of the European Society of Cardiology.â€ European Journal of Heart Failure, 21(7), 949â€“950. https://doi.org/10.1002/ejhf.1477
Shimonovich, M., Pearce, A., Thomson, H., Keyes, K., & Katikireddi, S. V. (2020). Assessing causality in epidemiology: revisiting Bradford Hill to incorporate developments in causal thinking. European Journal of Epidemiology, 36. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10654-020-00703-7