Using the Prescriptive Authority websites, select the state (s) you plan to practice in and become familiar with each state’s regulations related to NP prescriptive authority. In some states prescriptive authority is explained in the BON and the Department of Public Health (DPH), so you may need to search the DPH website as well. I
- What are the prescriptive authority requirements for the state in which you intend to practice? Is there a MD collaborative or supervisory regulation related to non-controlled substances or controlled substances.
- Are there any restrictions for NP prescriptive practice?
- Does the state utilize a system-wide drug monitoring program to assist with prevention of overprescribing?
- Include the
- State prescriptive authority regulations hyperlink.
- Does the state allow DEA licensure? What are the requirements to obtain a DEA certificate?
- Are there any MD collaborative/supervisory regulations related to narcotic prescribing?
- Are there any restrictions to prescribing narcotics?
- Opioid restrictions? Narcan authority?
- Include the Federal DEA hyperlink.