Guidelines for the Health Policy Event Assignment
In Weeks 2â€“7, you must virtually attend a policy event that is at least approximately 1 hour or longer in length, related to the weekâ€™s topic. Virtual health policy events are posted for each weekly module from which you may choose. In addition, you may also identify your own policy event related to the weekâ€™s topics. All events selected must have a health policy focus and be relevant to the weekâ€™s topics. Events that have primarily a clinical focus are not acceptable. Because events must be relevant to current health policy issues, they should have taken place within the past 3 years. If you are interested in selecting your own event or one that is older than years, check with your instructor first to make sure the event meets the criteria for this assignment.
If you select your own event, you may consider a local Board of Health meeting a legislative or executive branch hearing or meeting on a health policy issue, a meeting by advocacy organization or special interest group, or a meeting of a political party, political group, or political candidate in which a health policy issue is discussed.
Policy Log Guidelines
As a way of demonstrating completion of this course requirement, you must submit, in writing, a policy log that detail certain aspects of each event.
- Each event log should be 2â€“3 double-spaced pages of text.
- Provide only a brief summary of the topic being discussed (3â€“5 sentences).
- Your analysis section should be 500 to 750 words and be the most developed component of the report. In the analysis section, you can write about the process of policy being made at this event, and/or you can write about the actual health policy issue being discussed/considered. This should primarily be your analysis, and if you refer to an analysis made by an event participant, make that clear in your log. Your analysis should include new information that goes beyond what was discussed in the event.
- Your analysis should integrate course content and readings. Reference at least two sources from the learning materials in this course or other sources which may include scholarly sources, health policy reports or recent media articles.
- Use APA format for citations and references.
Use these Headings in your Policy Logs!
Â· Name, sponsor, link to the event
Â· Place, date, length of the event
Â· Names of participants and their titles
Â· Brief summary of the topic discussed
Â· My analysis of the health policy issue and its implications for health care
You can use these below if you want
Week 5 Cost and Quality
Policy Events at the Harvard School of Public Health
April 4th, 2019
December 5, 2017
September 26th, 2018