This 5-page (not counting cover and references) Paper from Assigned Topic in course instructions must be in APA format. There must be 2 articles for evidentiary support of current knowledge and nursing practice. There should be an introduction or overview of major points and a conclusion with a summary of the writerâ€™s viewpoint. Attempts to reduce harm in relation to this topic should be included. The role of the nurse in relation to the topic must be defined. The paper must address nursing leadership issues, and quality and safety provisions related to this topic. The paper must make a recommendation from the writer. The course outcomes found on the course syllabus must be addressed.
Course Learning Outcomes
- COURSE LEARNING OUTCOMES: Uon completion of the course, students will be afforded the opportunity to:
- Analyze the opioid prevalence and abuse crisis in America.
- Evaluate the environmental factors contributing to opioid abuse and resulting healthcare management.
- Synthesize recognition of the signs and symptoms of opioid addiction or exposure across the lifespan into a nursing philosophy, nursing science framework, and then into the four metaparadigms of person, environment, health, and nursing.
- Evaluate the nursing strategies to help ensure the safety and high quality care of
those Opioid addicted.
- Generate the impact of the pathophysiological role of endorphins and dopamine in the body on opioid use and misuse to formulate effective nursing strategies in a healthcare setting.
- Compare and contrast the role of opioid treatment for short term and chronic pain relief based on evidence-based practice.
- Differentiate presence of opioid overuse, overwhelming desire for opioids, and withdrawal symptoms without continued opioid use, tolerance to opioids, and danger of overdose to maintain a safe healthcare environment with emphasis on utilizing quality improvement.
- Participate in analyzing the sociopolitical process that affects Nursing Practice and healthcare management.
- Engage in a nursing philosophy that promotes collaboration and cultivation of a safe and compassionate caring health environment.
- Analyze ethical decisions impacting nursing, consumers, and legislators.
*Numbered domains follow matching course learning outcomes.
3. BSN ESSENTIALS
A. Domains for Nursing
- Domain 1: Knowledge for Nursing Practice encompasses the integration, translation, and application of disciplinary nursing knowledge and ways of knowing, as well as knowledge from other disciplines, including a foundation in liberal arts and natural and social sciences.
- Domain 2: Person-Centered Care focuses on the individual within multiple complicated contexts, including family and/or important others. Person-centered care is holistic, individualized, just, respectful, compassionate, coordinated, evidence-based, and developmentally appropriate.
- Domain 3: Population Health spans the healthcare delivery continuum from prevention to disease management of populations and describes collaborative activities with affected communities, public health, industry, academia, health care, local government entities, and others for the improvement of equitable population health outcomes.
- Domain 4: Scholarship for Nursing Practice involves the generation, synthesis, translation, application, and dissemination of nursing knowledge to improve health and transform health care.
- Domain 5: Quality and Safety, as core values of nursing practice, involves enhancing quality and minimizing risk of harm to patients and providers through both system effectiveness and individual performance.
- Domain 6: Interprofessional Partnerships involves intentional collaboration across professions and with care team members, patients, families, communities, and other stakeholders to optimize care, enhance the healthcare experience, and strengthen outcomes.
- Domain 7: Systems-Based Practice prepares nurses to lead within complex systems of health care. Nurses must effectively coordinate resources to provide safe, quality, equitable care to diverse populations.
- Domain 8: Informatics and Healthcare Technologies are used to provide safe, high-quality care, gather data, form information to drive decision making, and support professionals as they expand knowledge and wisdom for practice.
- Domain 9: Professionalism involves cultivating a sustainable professional nursing identity, perspective, accountability, and comportment that reflects nursingâ€™s characteristics and values.
- Domain 10: Personal, Professional, and Leadership Development includes activities and self-reflection that foster personal health, resilience, and well-being, lifelong learning, and support the acquisition of nursing expertise and assertion of leadership.
- Numbered domains matching the learning outcomes
B. Concepts for Nursing Practice
The Essentials also feature 8 concepts which are central to professional nursing practice and are integrated within and across the domains and competencies.
- Clinical Judgment
- Compassionate Care
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Evidence-Based Practice
- Health Policy
- Social Determinants of Health