As youâ€¯readâ€¯the following reports, think about policy, legislative, political, or payer changes that could advance or have advanced the quality of care you provide.
Report #1â€”Crossing the Quality Chasm: A New Health System for the 21st Century
- Read “A User’s Manual for the IOM’s ‘Quality Chasm’ Report” from the University Library.
- Find the Crossing the Quality Chasm: A New Health System for the 21st Century report on the Health and Medicine Division’s website.
- Read the preface on pages ixâ€“x and the executive summary on pages 1â€“22.
Report #2â€”To Err is Human: Building a Safer Health System
- Find the To Err is Human: Building a Safer Health System report on the Health and Medicine Division’s website.
- Read the preface on pages ixâ€“x and the executive summary on pages 1â€“16.
Report #3â€”Health Professions Education: A Bridge to Quality
- Find the Health Professions Education: A Bridge to Quality report on the Health and Medicine Division’s website.
- Read the Executive Summary on pages 1â€“18.
Continue to Step 2: Connecting Research to Practice.
You have been tasked by your CNO to provide a progress report and present to the board of directors about how your organization is transforming based on Health and Medicine Division (HMD) recommendations in high-profile reports.
“The Health and Medicine Division (HMD) is a division of the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine that provides independent, objective analysis and advice to the nation and conduct other activities to solve complex problems and inform public policy decisions related to science, technology, and medicine” (National Academies, 2019). The National Academies have produced many reports with direct impacts on the field of nursing.
You are excited for the opportunity to highlight your organization’s efforts in advancing patient care.
Now that you have read the three HMD reports you are ready to:
- Determineâ€¯which recommendations from the HMD reports directly affect how nurses provide care at the bedside.
- Researchâ€¯quality indicators (at the organization where you practice, one in your community, or one of interest) based on the determined recommendations.
Continue to Step 3: Progress Report.
Writeâ€¯a 260-word executive summary and create a 10- to 12-slide PowerPointÂ® presentation with detailed speaker notes in which you:
- Explainâ€¯HMD recommendations which directly affect how nurses provide care at the bedside.
- Describeâ€¯research results about quality indicators at the organization where you practice, one in your community, or one of interest.
- Explainâ€¯specific examples from the organization in the form of changes in care, governance, training, communication, and partnerships.
- Citeâ€¯evidence from the organization’s quality measures that demonstrate they are carrying out the HMD’s vision.
Note: The slides themselves should only contain essential information and as little text as possible. Do not design a slide presentation made up of long bullet points. Your speaker notes convey the details you would give if you were presenting. See this link for more help.