Interview a nurse leader, director of nursing in a long term care facility, a masterâ€™s prepared nurse with leadership responsibilities (nurse educator, nurse quality specialist, nurse risk manager, nurse case manager, etc.), or advanced practice nurse with leadership responsibilities (clinical nurse specialist, nurse anesthetist, nurse midwife, or nurse practitioner).
Analyze the leaderâ€™s role as it relates to a minimum of six of the major course concepts addressed: emotional intelligence, communication, conflict resolution, cultural competence/diversity, leadership models, Nurse of the Future competencies.
Provide a narrative summary of your intervieweeâ€™s responses to each of the concepts (but not a verbatim account) of the interview. Incorporate references to provide support and analyze the concepts you discussed. Include your impression of congruence between the leaderâ€™s self-reflection and your personal observations of demonstrated leadership. Include the following in your paper:
- Comprehension: Introduce the leader, his or her credentials, title, job responsibilities, placement on the organizational chart/reporting responsibilities, education, experience, mentors, and pathway to their current role.
- Application: Describe the predominate model/theory of leadership used by this leader. Describe their style of leadership.
- Analysis/Synthesis: Clarify and illustrate the leaderâ€™s level of authority and influence within the organization. Discuss their sense of empowerment and efforts to empower others. Describe their intra- and extra-organizational responsibilities.
- Compare your personal philosophy/style/model of leadership with this leader and share whether or not expectations/perceptions of this leader were accurate.
- Evaluation: Summarize the leaderâ€™s behavior, strengths, successes, challenges and weaknesses.
Your paper should be 9 to 10 pages long, not counting cover page or references list, and should utilize 12 scholarly references.