As you have learned from several of your readings, diagnosis of a variety of psychiatric illnesses is not always an easy or straightforward process. Multiple observations and assessment methods are often employed to reach a diagnosis. This approach can include the use of standardized assessment instruments.
Each week, you will be tasked with identifying a standardized assessment instrument to measure at least one of the disorders you will read about. You identify an instrument and:
- Identify a scholarly, peer reviewed article that addresses the use of the instrument.
- Discuss if the instrument is appropriate for diagnosing the condition it is designed to assess, or if the instruments developers report that the instrument is only part of a comprehensive assessment for the condition.
- Describe whether or not the instrument can be used to measure patient response to therapy/treatment.
- Discuss the psychometrics of the instrument including reliability and validity.
- Discuss any limitations associated with the use of the instrument.
For week three, you will identify at least two (2) assessment instruments-that can be used in the assessment/diagnosis of an anxiety or related disorder.