As you have learned from several of your readings, diagnosis of a variety of psychiatric illnesses is not always an easy or straightforward process. Multiple observations and assessment methods are often employed to reach a diagnosis. This approach can include the use of standardized assessment instruments.
Each week, you will be tasked with identifying a standardized assessment instrument to measure the disorders about which you will be reading. You will keep these instruments in the form of a â€œnotebookâ€ that you can use in your clinical practice to assess clients who present with a variety of symptoms.
For each assessment, you are tasked with selecting, you will identify an instrument and:
- Identify a scholarly, peer-reviewed article that addresses the use of the instrument.
- Discuss if the instrument is appropriate for diagnosing the condition it is designed to assess or if the developers of the instrument reported that the instrument is only part of a comprehensive assessment for the disorder.
- Describe whether or not the instrument can be used to measure patient response to therapy/treatment.
- Discuss the psychometrics of the instrument, including reliability and validity.
- Discuss any limitations associated with the use of the instrument
For week two, you will identify three (3) different assessment instruments-one used in the assessment/diagnosis of:
- Neurodevelopmental Disorder
- Disruptive, or impulse-Control disorder
- Conduct disorder.
This video will address the expectations for the assessment notebook assignmentï¼š