The Health Care Policy Stage
Identify key players on the local, state, national, and international health care policy stage related to a health care issue.
Describe the political action structure of a special interest advocacy group.
Analyze the stated mission, vision, and values of a health care organization in the context of the competing values of health care systems.
Create a health care policy stage infographic related to a current health care issue.
Write in a manner that is well-organized, using APA format and style.
Step One: Familiarize Yourself With the General Health Care Policy Stage
Use the Policy and Legislative Resources (found in the Resources), and your own Internet searches to learn how health policies get on the agenda, and what kind of information is needed to influence policy change.
Step Two: Select a Health Care Policy Issue
Once you have established a clear understanding of the health care policy stage in general, identify a specific health issue and survey the existing literature related to the following:
- Identify the important players and influencers on the national, state, local, and global stage related to your selected health care policy issue.
- Identify 2–3 special interest groups you think might have the most influence for your issue.
Step Three: Select a Special Interest Group Advocate Organization
Visit the 2–3 key organizations’ Web sites and locate their stated organizational mission, vision, and values, and find examples of public health care initiatives they support.
Narrow your choice to one specific group, and from this point forward, your selected organization will be the focus of this assessment.
- Examine the political action structure of your selected special interest group.
- Locate policy statements and initiatives that have significance to the organization from a national, state, local, and global perspective. You will use this information to create the infographic.
Step Four: Analyze Alignment to Mission, Vision, and Values
Analyze how your chosen health care policy issue aligns with the organization’s stated values and goals. Identify 2–3 health system values that are most often reflected (or implied) in their online statements and public health care initiatives. Use the health system values listed below.
- Acquisition of wealth.
Health Care Policy Stage Infographic
Create a 1–3-page infographic addressing the state and federal regulatory climate related to a health care policy and issue that aligns with a specific organization’s mission, vision, values, and goals. At the end of the infographic, provide a reference list citing your sources using APA style and formatting.
- The purpose of this infographic is to inform new hires and volunteers about the health care policy stage related to the mission, vision, values, and goals of the organization.
- Use the Internet to become familiar with typical examples of health care infographics. Refer to the suggested resources listed in this assessment.
- Written communication: Written communication is free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- APA formatting: Resources and citations are formatted according to current APA guidelines for style and formatting.
- Number of resources: Minimum of 2–4 resources
- Page length: 1–3 pages.