In this assignment, You will need a minimum of two evidence-based practice articles to include clinical practice guidelines, as well as the course textbook. Must be 3-5 pages
This case study consists of one hypothetical patient situation. After reviewing the information with this case study, you will answer several relevant questions about patient care. You can use outside materials to help you. In your answers, you should make specific reference to relevant guidelines and other clinical information.
Within this case study, you will see specific information about the patient. After reviewing all information, return to the assignment page within Moodle to download the Case Study Questions document. Use the Case Study Questions to complete this assignment and then submit it within the assignment page.
You are expected to include two evidence-based practice articles to support your work. Additionally, you will need to include the national guidelines for any treatment plans/options. All papers must conform to the most recent APA standards.
Overview of Patient
Case Study Week 10 – Major Depressive Disorder
Laura is a 55-year-old white female who presents to her family physicianâ€™s office for a yearly routine physical. Her husband passed away five months ago after a two-year battle with lung cancer. She has three children, two of whom are still in college. Her daughter accompanies her to the doctorâ€™s office and says she is concerned about her motherâ€™s recent behavior. She explains that her mother has been â€œsleeping all the timeâ€ and has lost 25 lb in the past two months without being on a diet.
When the doctor examines Laura, she explains that she has become increasingly fatigued and complains of a lack of energy. She no longer has any desire to participate in her lifelong hobbies of painting and photography because of frequent feelings of sadness. Lauraâ€™s medical history is significant for hypothyroidism, hypercholesterolemia, and recently diagnosed hypertension. In the office today, Lauraâ€™s blood pressure is 138/88 mm Hg.
PAST MEDICAL HISTORY
Lauraâ€™s medical history is significant for hypothyroidism, hypercholesterolemia, and recently diagnosed hypertension.
Â· levothyroxine 0.075 mg daily
Â· simvastatin 20 mg daily
Â· hydrochlorothiazide 25 mg daily
Â· lisinopril 10 mg daily
Â· multivitamins 1 tab daily
Â· aspirin 81 mg daily
Diagnosis: Major Depression
1. List specific goals for treatment for Laura.
2. What drug therapy would you prescribe? Why?
3. What are the parameters for monitoring success of the therapy?
4. Discuss specific patient education based on the prescribed therapy.
5. List one or two adverse reactions for the selected agent that would cause you to change therapy.
6. What would be the choice for second-line therapy? Provide rationale for your answer.
7. What over-the-counter and/or alternative medications would be appropriate for Laura? Why?
8. What lifestyle changes would you recommend to Laura? Why?
9. Describe one or two drugâ€“drug or drugâ€“food interaction for the selected agent.
10. What labs would you order and why?
11. When would you have the patient return to your office?