Assignment 2: Operating a Successful Restaurant
Due Week 8 and worth 180 points
In Assignment 1, you created your own restaurant. For Assignment 2, your hypothetical restaurant has recently opened. You will now create your operations plan.
Write a six to eight (6-8) page paper in which you:
- Outline a food safety plan which utilizes the seven (7) basic steps of the Hazard Analysis of Critical Control Point (HACCP) system. Provide plan details that are specific to your restaurant’s design / layout and menu selections.
- Document food production procedures for three (3) menu items. These procedures should include receiving of ingredients, storage of ingredients, and production steps for making the final menu item.
- Estimate food costs and food-cost percentage for three (3) menu items. Include a comparison of the restaurant’s breakdown costs for the individual ingredients in each menu item, the specific costs to the restaurant to prepare each menu item, and the overall cost to the patron to purchase each menu item.
- Prepare a plan for the staffing of your restaurant. Your staffing plan should include processes for recruitment, pre-employment testing, interviewing, and selection. Provide an example of the staffing process for one (1) management position and one (1) server position.
- Use at least three (3) quality references. Go to https://research.strayer.edu to locate those resources. Note: Wikipedia and other Websites do not quality as academic resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- This course requires use of Strayer Writing Standards (SWS). The format is different than other Strayer University courses. Please take a moment to review the SWS documentation for details.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Develop procedures and policies for managing the various functions and operational areas within a restaurant.
- Develop budgets and control programs to effectively operate a food service facility / restaurant, provide quality customer service, and ensure food safety.
- Describe the basic legal obligations and actions to minimize the potential operational liabilities within the restaurant industry.
Grading for this assignment will be based on answer quality, logic / organization of the paper, and language and writing skills, using the following rubric found here.