Case Study – Performance Measures – USING EHR
ABSTRACT: This report examines the experiences of five provider organizations in developing, testing, and implementing quality-of-care indicators, based on data collected from their electronic health record (EHR) systems. HealthPartners used the EHR to compile blood pressure measurements, Park Nicollet Health Services developed a composite measure for care of people with diabetes, Billings Clinic tested an automatic alert on potential interactions between antibiotics and the anticoagulant warfarin, Kaiser Permanente used a natural-language processing tool for counseling about tobacco use, and Geisinger Health System explored ways of reconciling Problem Lists and provider-visit notes regarding high-impact chronic-disease diagnoses. Common themes emerged from these case studies. They included challenges—of ensuring the validity and reliability of data, efficient workflow, and staff support—but the providers’ successes in implementing their respective EHR-based quality measures demonstrated that such measures are adaptable to different EHR systems, amenable to improvement, and worth pursuing. Complete one of the sections below (you may use SBAR as your guiding format if you want, but not required).
Selected Case Study:
Case Study #2 Optimal Care for Diabetes: Linking Measurement with Improvement
You must address the minimum below:
Give the case background and organizational environment.
- Assignment Expectations (200 points total)
Length: Minimum 1-2 pages excluding cover page and references
- Assignment-driven criteria (100 points): Demonstrates clear understanding of the subject and addresses all key elements of the assignment (as discussed above)
- Critical thinking (25 points): Demonstrates mastery conceptualizing the problem. Shows analysis, synthesis, and evaluation of required material.
- Scholarly writing (25 points): Demonstrates writing proficiency at the academic level of the course; addresses the Learning Outcomes of the assignment. TurnItIn Software review also required. MUST BE LESS THAN 25% to receive a grade.
- Quality of references (10 points) and assignment organization (15 points): Uses relevant and credible sources to support assertions. Assignment is well organized and follows the structure of a well-written paper.
- Citing sources (25 points): Uses in-text citations and properly formats references in APA style. In addition to the course text, 1-2 additional credible sources are required.
*** ATTACHED YOU WILL FIND THE INFORMATION FOR THE CASE STUDY***