Write a short (50-100-word) paragraph response for each question. This assignment is to be submitted as a Microsoft Word document.
- Define patient compliance and explain its importance in your field. (Postpartum/nursery)
- Identify the health care professionals’ role in compliance and give examples of ways in which the health care professional may actually contribute to noncompliance.
- Compare compliance and collaboration.
- Compare and contrast patient education in the past with that practiced today.
- Explain the importance of professional commitment in developing patient education as a clinical skill.
- Explain the three categories of learning and how they can be used in patient education.
- List three problems that may arise in patient education and how they would be solved?
- List some methods of documentation of patient education.
Alma Faulkenberger is an 85-year-old female outpatient sitting in the waiting room awaiting an invasive pelvic procedure. The health care professional who will assist in her procedure enters the room and calls “Alma.” There is no reply so the professional retreats to the work area. Fifteen minutes later the professional returns and calls “Alma Frankenberg.” Still no reply, so he leaves again. Another 15 minutes pass and the professional approaches Alma and shouts in her ear, “Are you Alma Frankenberg?” She replies, “No I am not, and I am not deaf either, and when you get my name correct I will answer you.”
Using the topic 1 materials, develop a plan to help Alma be compliant with the procedure and post-treatment medication. Also, describe the approach you would take to patient education in this case.
How would you use collaboration to assist in compliance with a patient as difficult as Alma?