Jean Watson Grand Theory
Analysis of the theory. (This section is a large part of the presentation and worth 60 points. Students should describe and evaluate the theory.)
a. Detail the theoryâ€™s usefulness. Explain how nurses can use the theory in nursing (that is, clinical practice, education, or administration). Use information from the literature to address this section. However, provide clear examples of how the theory was (or can be) applied to practice, education, or administration. For example, were clinical practice guidelines developed using the theory? In addition to using information from the literature, develop a brief patient case applying the theory. For example, regarding nursing education, are there colleges that have based their curriculum on the theory?
b. Describe the theoryâ€™s testability and how the theory has been used in one nursing study. Describe the studyâ€™s key elements, purpose, sample, method, and key findings. Address how the theory was applied to the research. The description must include the following identifying information about the article: author(s), title, journal, volume, issue (if applicable), and page numbers cited according to the APA Manual.
c. Describe the theoryâ€™s parsimony and level of complexity. Address the simplicity (parsimony) of the theory in its presentation and the level of complexity in its scope. For example, according to McEwen and Wills (2014), Hendersonâ€™s theory is simple in the presentation of its â€œ14 Activities for Client Assuranceâ€ (p. 138), but its very broad scope of the role of nursing makes it complex.
d. Describe the value in extending nursing science. Discuss one mid-range theory based on your selected theory. Briefly describe the mid-range theory, its main concepts, and how it relates to the grand theory. Include a full citation of the mid-range theory. For example, the mid-range theory of self-transcendence was developed based on Rogersâ€™ theory of unitary human beings (Reed, 1991). Reference: Reed, P. G. (1991). Toward a nursing theory of self-transcendence: Deductive reformulation using developmental theories. Advances in Nursing Science, 13(4), 64â€“77.
- Use multiple contributory resources for your presentation, which include the readings for this course, scholarly journal articles, etc.
- Use websites judiciously; only .org and .edu sites are appropriate.
- You cannot use basic level nursing resources (for example, Registered Nurse Journal; AmericanJournal of Nursing; or any undergraduate nursing textbooks, pamphlets, or hospital materials).
- Do not use broad assumptions without data or evidence to support them.
- Do not use colloquial statements (that is, slang).
- Information must be referenced within the text of your PowerPoint slides and in a references list (citations must be in APA format). The references list should be the last slide(s) of your PowerPoint slides.