- Learning material
- Woo, T. M., & Robinson, M. V. (2020). Pharmacotherapeutics for Advanced Practice Nurse prescribers (5th ed.) F.A. Davis Company. Learning material
- Recommended for drug dosing desk reference of adult populations-based practitioners: Lexicomp. (2017). Drug Information Handbook for Advanced Practice Nursing (17th ed.). Wolters Kluwer Clinical Drug Information.
- Recommended for drug dosing desk reference of pediatric and family medicine populations-based practitioners: Taketamo, C. K. (2017). Pediatric and Neonatal Dosage Handbook (24th ed.). Lexicomp Incorporated
Answer the following questions in three well-developed paragraphs (450â€“500 words) using APA formatting, integrating two evidence-based resources to include clinical practice guidelines as well as the course textbook.
Overview: Gastrointestinal Case Study
Joshua George is a 42-year-old white man presenting with a 2-month history of intermittent mid-epigastric pain. The pain sometimes wakes him up at night and seems to get better after he eats a meal. J.G. informs you that his doctor told him that he had an infection in his stomach 6 months ago. He never followed up and has been taking over-the-counter antacids and histamine receptor antagonists (H2Ras) for 2 weeks without relief. He takes no other medications. He is concerned because the pain is continuing. He has no other significant history except he is a 20-pack-year smoker and he drinks 5 cups of coffee a day. He eats late at night and goes to bed about 30 minutes after dinner. He is allergic to penicillin.
Diagnosis: Peptic Ulcer Disease
- 1. List specific goals for treatment for J.G.
- 2. What drug therapy would you prescribe for J.G.? Please provide your rationales.
- 3. What are the parameters for monitoring success of the therapy?
- 4. Discuss specific patient education based on the prescribed therapy.
- 5. List one or two adverse reactions for the selected agent that would cause you to change therapy.
- 6. What would be the choice for second-line therapy?
- 7. What over-the-counter and/or alternative medications would be appropriate for J.G.?
- 8. What lifestyle changes would you recommend to J.G.?
- 9. Describe one or two drugâ€“drug or drugâ€“food interaction for the selected agent.