Review readings below, and include specific information with citation within your written response as appropriate.
Write a three- to four-page paper (excluding APA title page and reference pages) comparing Freud, Mahler, and Adler. Compare and contrast the developmental models of Freud and Mahler, and then contrast these two developmental theories with Adlerâ€™s theory. Be sure to also address the following:
- A brief description of each theory. Which perspective appeals to you more, and why?
- What are some ways the Adlerian approach can be applied to group counseling? What are some advantages of using a group format with this approach?
- What concepts from these psychoanalytic approaches do you see as being potentially useful in your work as a nurse psychotherapist? Describe.
- Why should the nurse psychotherapist understand developmental theories for application in clinical practice?
You should cite a minimum of three APA references from the following reading review
- American Psychiatric Association. (2013). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (5th ed.). American Psychiatric Publishing, Inc.
- Corey, G. (2016). Theory and practice of counseling and psychotherapy (10th ed.). Cengage.
- Shea, S. C. (2017). Psychiatric interviewing: The art of understanding (3rd ed.). Elsevier.
- Carlat, D. (2017). The psychiatric interview (4th ed.). Wolters Kluwer.
- Shea, S. C. (2017). Psychiatric interviewing: The art of understanding (3rd ed.). Elsevier. (These videos are found on the textbook companion website.)
- Regis Library (You need to be logged in to the Regis library website to view this video.)