The population health domain in the AACN Essentials (2021) explains that nurses are expected to advance preparedness efforts to protect population health during disasters and emergencies.
As advocates of social justice and change agents, nurses promote change to improve outcomes for individuals, communities, and populations. Advancing system preparedness to protect population health during disasters and emergencies is an essential role for nurses. It requires interprofessional collaboration, ethical decision making, and system-level planning, which are essential skills of an MSN professional nurse.
Imagine you are an MSN professional nurse required to participate in a system-level change initiative to improve upon the preparedness objective across settings. You have been tasked with creating a force field analysis of the driving and restraining forces related to a preparedness change initiative and reporting the findings to your leadership team. Consider including a force field analysis diagram in your report.
Begin by visiting the Healthy People 2030: Browse Objectives webpage. Then, select the topic Emergency Preparedness and choose one objective. Refer to the example analysis in Table 5-2 of the textbook, and then document your understanding of the driving and restraining forces and the significance of stakeholders involved in addressing the change goals.
Specifically, you must address the following rubric criteria:
- Goal of Change: Describe the intended goal of the change. Hint: You can identify the change goal from the title of the Healthy People 2030 objective you choose.
- Driving Forces: Assess driving forces that support achievement of the change goal.
- Restraining Forces: Assess restraining forces that act as barriers to meeting the change goal.
- Stakeholder Significance: Explain the significance of at least two stakeholders involved in addressing the change.
- Mitigation of Restraining Forces: Discuss a strategy to mitigate a barrier to meeting the change goal.
Guidelines for Submission
Your submission should be a 1- to 2-page Microsoft Word document, using APA standard formatting. Use 12-point Times New Roman font, double spacing, and one-inch margins. Sources should be cited according to APA style.