NUR 423: Evidenced-Based Practice
Introspective Assignment: Guidelines for the Written Assignment
The purpose of this written assignment is to provide the student an opportunity to review The Essentials of Baccalaureate Education for Professional Nursing Practice that are applicable to the course outcomes for the course on Evidence-Based Practice .
This written assignment provides evidence of the studentâ€™s ability to meet the following course outcomes:
1. Describe evidence-based practice (EBP) and its foundational concepts. (PO1)
2. Describe how to translate evidence to develop health care practices in culturally and
ethnically diverse populations. (PO1, PO6)
3. Discuss the legal and ethical issues as they relate to translation of evidence into practice
as related to sustainable improvement in healthcare outcomes. (PO6)
4. Discuss the similarities and differences among quality improvement, research and
evidence based practice in healthcare. (PO1, PO6)
5. Identify search strategies to attain the best available evidence relevant to the clinical
problem. (PO1, PO3, PO6)
6. Apply the appropriate methodology, quality, and trustworthiness, and validity of
evidence. (PO1, PO6)
7. Implement best practice to the clinical problem including consideration of nursing
metaparadigm and nursing leadership. (PO6)
8. Evaluate current practice and policies related to current evidence. (PO1, PO6)
The nine Baccalaureate Essentials are:
Essential I: Liberal Education for Baccalaureate Generalist Nursing Practice
o A solid base in liberal education provides the cornerstone for the practice and education of nurses.
Essential II: Basic Organizational and Systems Leadership for Quality Care and Patient Safety
o Knowledge and skills in leadership, quality improvement, and patient safety are necessary to provide high quality healthcare.
Essential III: Scholarship for Evidence Based Practice
o Professional nursing practice is grounded in the translation of current evidence into practice.
Essential IV: Information Management and Application of Patient Care Technology
o Knowledge and skills in information management and patient care technology are critical in the delivery of quality patient care.
Essential V: Healthcare Policy, Finance, and Regulatory Environments
o Healthcare policies, including financial and regulatory, directly and indirectly influence the nature and functioning of the healthcare system and thereby are important considerations in professional nursing practice.
Essential VI: Interprofessional Communication and Collaboration for Improving Patient Health Outcomes
o Communication and collaboration among healthcare professionals are critical to delivering high quality and safe patient care.
Essential VII: Clinical Prevention and Population Health
o Health promotion and disease prevention at the individual and population level are necessary to improve population health and are important components of baccalaureate generalist nursing practice.
Essential VIII: Professionalism and Professional Values
o Professionalism and the inherent values of altruism, autonomy, human dignity, integrity, and social justice are fundamental to nursing.
Essential IX: Baccalaureate Generalist Nursing Practice
o The baccalaureate-graduate nurse is prepared to practice with patients, including individuals, families, groups, communities, and populations across the lifespan and across the continuum of healthcare environments.
o The baccalaureate graduate understands and respects the variations of care, the increased complexity, and the increased use of healthcare resources inherent in caring for patients. (AACN, 2008)
Submission Due Date
This written assignment is due in Week 7 by Sunday (Day 7) at 11:59 PM (EST). (The week begins on Monday (Day 1) and ends on Sunday (Day 7).
- The Introspective Paperis worth 100 points and will be graded on the incorporation of The Essentials of Baccalaureate Education related to the course objectives as outlined in the grading rubric.
- The assignment must be written using Microsoft Word (a part of Microsoft Office) and saved as a MS Word document ending in .docx.
- Review the Grading Rubric for each section to be developed.
- The length of the paper is to be no less than 3 full pages and no greater than 6 full pages, excluding the title page and reference pages.
- APA format is required with both a title page and reference page.
- Use the following headings in your paper.
- Identification ofThe Essentials
- These headings must be Level 1 headers (upper and lower case, centered and bolded). (See the APA Manual for format of Level 1 headers.)
Please be sure to include the reference for The Essentials on your reference page.
- The reference for the Essentials must be listed on the reference page.
American Association of Colleges of Nursing (2008). The essentials of
baccalaureate education for professional nursing practice. Washington, DC.
- Introduction (1 paragraph)
In the Introduction, clearly identify the purpose of the paper and write a general paragraph about the topic to be discussed.
- Identification of The Essentials (1 paragraph)
Write a well-developed paragraph identifying how The Essentials that were important in this course and provide a brief description of how The Essentials were met in your own words.)
- Introspective (5 to 10 paragraphs)
Identify the course objectives and describe what you learned from this course based on these course objectives and how they relate to The Essentials. Please review the course objectives, discussions, readings and The Essentials to help complete the assignment.
- Conclusion (1 paragraph)
Briefly and succinctly summarize your main points including the purpose of the paper. (Please do not introduce new information into your conclusion.)
- Template for Assignment
Please use the template for this assignment. (Please remove any wording highlighted in yellow before submitting your assignment.)
Introspective Assignment (running header)
Course Number: Course Name
The purpose of this assignment is (Please clearly state your purpose and what will be included in your paper in 1 paragraph.) â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦.
Identification of The Essentials
The Essentials included in this paper are â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦. (please identify the Essentials that were important in this course and provide a brief description of how The Essentials were met in your own words.)
In this introspective section, I will describe what I learned from this course based on these course outcomes and how they relate to The Essentials. (Please be sure to fully develop no less than 3 full pages and no greater than 6 full pages describing what you learned from this course based on these course objectives and how they relate to the Essentials. Please review the course objectives, discussions, readings and The Essentials to help complete the assignment.)
In conclusion, (briefly summarize your main points including the purpose. Please do not introduce new information into your conclusion. This section needs to be at least one fully developed paragraph.)