ROLE OF BSN-PREPARED NURSE TO SUPPORT STRATEGIC PLAN AS IT RELATES TO THE SAME CORE SELECTED
Interview with a Nurse Leader
Your Name: Date:
Your Instructor’s Name:
|Criteria||Fill in the answers in this column.|
|Indicate 2 scholarly resources or texts used prior to the interview to familiarize yourself with the individual’s organization, role, or any of the questions you plan to ask that will make you a more knowledgeable interviewer.||Resource #1:|
|Resource # 2:|
|Demographics: Provide initials, credentials, job title, and length in present position of the registered nurse interviewee. Include the date and time the interview was conducted. Provide a working phone number for instructor follow-up if needed.|
|Required Questions(Ask the interviewee about EVERY topic in this section)|
|Scope of responsibility: Major responsibilities, direct reports, and operational budget|
|Organizational mission, vision, values, and beliefs|
|Strategic planning related to ONE core competency (name the core competency)|
|Role of BSN-prepared nurse to support the strategic plan|
|Practice Impact Question(Reflect on the interview afterwards to ask yourself this question and provide it below.)|
|How does completing this interview impact your practice as a BSN-prepared nurse? Give specific examples.|
Interview With a Nurse Leader:
The following is the purpose of this assignment,
- Discuss the roles and responsibilities of a Nurse Leader in a selected healthcare organization.
- Review the organization’s mission, vision, values, and beliefs.
- Discuss the Nurse Leader’s strategic plan as it relates to The Institute of Medicine’s Quality initiatives and ONE of the following five core competencies.
1) Provide patient-centered care
2) Work in interdisciplinary/interprofessional teams
3) Employ evidence-based practice
4) Apply quality improvement
5) Utilize informatics
- Articulate the role of the BSN-prepared nurse to support the strategic plan related to selected IOM core competency.
- Articulate what was learned from time spent with interviewee and how own nursing practice will change as a result of the encounter and completion of this assignment.
This assignment enables the student to meet the following course outcomes.
CO 1: Apply leadership concepts, skills, and decision making in the provision of high quality nursing care, healthcare team management, and the oversight and accountability for care delivery in a variety of settings. (PO #2)
CO 3: Participate in the development and implementation of imaginative and creative strategies to enable systems to change. (PO #7)
CO 5: Apply improvement methods, based on data from the outcomes of care processes, to design and test changes to continuously improve the quality and safety of healthcare. (PO #8)
CO 6: Develop a personal awareness of complex organizational systems and integrate values and beliefs with organizational mission. (PO #7)
CO 7: Apply leadership concepts in the development and initiation of effective plans for the microsystems and/or system-wide practice improvements that will improve the quality of healthcare delivery. (PO #2 and 3)
This assignment is worth a total of 200 points.