NU-664C-02-23PCS3 FamilyPsychiatric Ment.Hlth I
- My courses
- Week 10: Depression and Somatization Disorders
- Week 10: Group-Facilitated Discussion 1 – Group 1
Week 10: Group-Facilitated Discussion 1 – Group 1
To do: Make forum posts: 1
Value: 100 points
Due: Facilitating group to post by Day 1; all other students post to facilitating group discussion prompt by Day 4 and reply to at least two other peer posts by Day 7
Grading Category: Group Facilitated Discussions
Initial Post: Created by Facilitating Group
This is a student-led discussion.
- Please review the Week 7 Get Started: Group-Facilitated Communication Board and Instructions for assignment guidelines for this discussion to ensure that you have met all the criteria.
- The facilitating group should choose one member from their group who will be responsible for the initial post.
- On Day 1 of this week, the chosen group member will create an initial post that is to include the group’s discussion prompts, resources, and the instructions for what your classmates are to do with the resources.
- During this week, each member of your group is to participate in the facilitation of the discussion. This means making certain that everyone is engaged, questions from students are being answered, and the discussion is expanding.
- It is the expectation that the facilitating group will address all initial peer response posts by Day 7.
Reply Posts: Non-Facilitating Students
- If you are not a member of the facilitating group, you are to post a discussion prompt response according to the facilitating group’s instructions by Day 4. Your reply posts should include substantive reflection directed to the presenters.
- You are also expected to respond to at least two other peers’ initial discussion prompt posts.
- Pick out an idea from your peersâ€™ initial post that you find most interesting and tell how you use this information in practice.
Please refer to the Grading Rubric for details on how this activity will be graded. The described expectations meet the passing level of 80%. Students are directed to review the Discussion Grading Rubric for criteria which exceed expectations.
Re: Week 10: Group-Facilitated Discussion 1 – Group 1
by Ryan Anselmo – Monday, 3 July 2023, 9:34 AM
Hope everyone is enjoying the long holiday weekend! The topics for this week’s discussion are depression and somatization disorder in the pediatric/adolescent population. Please allow the attached document to serve as a guide while you review relevant and evidence-based literature on these topics. After reviewing the literature and videos, please respond to the following four prompts:
1. What are some pharmacological and non-pharmacological evidence-based treatment options for a child or adolescent diagnosed with a depressive disorder?
2. What is the FDA black-box warning on antidepressant medications? Does this warning automatically disqualify children and adolescents from being prescribed these medications for depression? Are there any FDA approved medications for depression for the child/adolescent population?
3. How does somatization disorder differ from other medical conditions and why is it often challenging to diagnose?
4. What are some common misconceptions or stigma surrounding somatization disorder and how can providers work to overcome them?
Looking forward to reading everyone’s replies! – Group #1