First, review chapters 3, 10, 11, and 13 in your textbook, Transcultural Concepts in Nursing Care. Then answer the following questions.
- Define cultural diverse assessments (review page 338).
- In your own words, describe key components of a comprehensive cultural assessment.
- Identify five communication skills that facilitate culturally competent health care (review the Patient-Clinician Communication paper under required readings or Click here to download).
- Initial Post: Minimum of two (2) total references: one (1) from required course materials and one (1)
- Initial Post: Minimum 200 words excluding references (approximately one (1)
- CriteriaLevels of AchievementMeets ExpectationsNeeds ImprovementUnsatisfactoryCharacteristics of initial post10to 10 PointsProvided response with rationale.The post is substantive and reflects careful consideration of the literature.Examples from the student’s practice/experience are provided to illustrate the discussion concepts.Addressed all required elements of the discussion prompt.Well organized and easy to read.3 to 9PointsProvided response missing either substantiverationale, consideration of the literature, or examples from the student’s practice/experience to illustrate the discussion concepts.Addresses allor most of required elements.Somewhat organized, but may be difficult to follow.0 to 2 PointsProvided response with minimal rationale.Does not demonstrate thought and provides no supporting details or examples.Provides a general summary of required elements.Support for initial post5to 5 PointsCited minimumof tworeferences:at least one (1) from required course materialsto support rationale AND one(1)from peer-reviewed* referencesfrom supplemental materials or independent study on the topic to support responses.The initial post is a minimum of 200 wordsexcluding references.2 to 4PointsMissing one (1) required course reference AND/OR one (1)peer-reviewed reference to validate response.Post has at least 200 words.0 to 1 PointsMissing 1or more of the correct type (course or peer-reviewed) or number of references to support response.Post is less than 200 words or there’s no post.
This week, you will learn how to plan care for patients while considering their diverse cultural backgrounds. This is an APA paper, which requires a title page, double spacing, and set up as per the example papers in your APA book. Please select a culture different from the one you chose to research in week 2.
Then, address the following:
- Describe the key components of conducting a comprehensive cultural assessment (rationales, interventions and evaluations may be found on the internet).
- Choose two of the components, reflect on your own culture and how it impacts your own attitude toward those aspects of providing culturally diverse care.
- Imagine that you are working in a physician’s office. A patient of a background different from your own comes in to be seen for a newly diagnosed problem. Create two nursing diagnoses that reflect cultural diversity (look at Appendix A for guidance ie., “Barrier to communication”); then give rationale for each diagnosis and describe how you would intervene and evaluate for success of your plan of care.
- Minimum of four (4) total references: two (2) references from required course materials and two (2) peer-reviewed references. All references must be no older than five years (unless making a specific point using a seminal piece of information)
- umber of Pages/Words
Unless otherwise specified all papers should have a minimum of 600 words (approximately 2.5 pages) excluding the title and reference pages.