The Research Paper
Registered Nurses practice in a professional environment that is constantly changing. It is essential that RNs have good written and verbal communication skills. As a RN you should be able to find current and pertinent information and apply the information to your care of patients. Good writing skills and the ability to locate relevant, current nursing information are needed to accomplish various goals and tasks such as documentation requirements, developing client education materials, developing nursing policies and procedures, all of which the RN may be asked to participate in as a member of the health care team.
A. Topic: Recommendation #5: Double the number of nurses with a doctorate by 2020.
The research paper topic must focus on an issue that has relevance to the profession of nursing. The paper should focus on the topic from a nursing perspective. The student should ask the questions: how does this issue relate to nursing and why is it important to the profession of nursing? (This is not a paper on clinical nursing!) It is recommended that students choose an area of inquiry that they are personally interested in. The following is a list of pertinent research paper categories with possible topics. The list of possible topics is not all inclusive. Students are encouraged to discuss topic ideas with the instructor.
1. Current Trends in the Health Care Industry and/or Nursing Administration that affect nursing practice
This may include leadership issues, the impact of managed care on nursing, quality improvement in the health care industry, or the impact of JCAHO regulations and quality improvement on the staff nurse.
2. Current Modes for Delivery of Nursing Care
This may include differentiated practice or models of nursing care delivery including staffing
3. Current Legal and/or Political Aspectsof Clinical Nursing or Nursing Education
This may include government affairs, legal issues, political aspects related to nursing practice.
4. Current Trends in the Practice of Nursingand Nursing Employment
This may include technologic advances affecting nursing, utilization of nursing research in practice, advanced practice nurses, professional development or professional issues, the nursing shortage.
B. Data Collection / Review of the Literature:
Review of the Literature:
To collect data, research must be done using current professional journalsor books in the nursing or health care fields. Internet sources may also be used if the source is professional and reputable. A minimum of 8 sources must be cited, at least 5 must benursing journalarticles (well respected, peer reviewed) related to the topic; this does not include Internet sources or articles assigned as part of the course reading requirements (although you certainly may use these references. Adequate research for this paper requires at least some library time. When using the Internet, beware of citing web pages, which are not articles!
C. Format for Research Paper:
The research paper must follow APA Format.
The paper must be clearly and professionally written with properly structured sentences and paragraphs.
(Hint: a paragraph contains a minimum of 3 sentences)
• correct use of grammar
• neatly typed or word-processed with no typographical or spelling errors
• double-spaced using a 12-point font size
• no justification setting on the word processor
- Number the pagesof your paper.
• indent paragraphs 5-7 spaces
• margins 1 inch from top, bottom and sides
· Words should be spelled correctly. There is no substitute for proof reading and proof reading again. Spell check is a wonderful invention, but remember it will not pick up every error! Have someone else read your paper (familiarity breeds contempt and an amazing inability to see our own errors!) Another effective trick is to read your paper out loud or have someone else read it aloud to you.
The paper must have:
• cover page (title page) which includes your name, course, date, paper title
• table of contents listing topic headings and page numbers
• clear organization using topic headings
• an introduction and conclusions/summary
• 6 pages minimum – 8 pages maximum content (this means the body of the paper must be at least 6pages not counting Title page, Reference page, etc.)
• Reference Page (written using APA Styleformat)
• correctly written and formatted citations of referenced materials using APA format
• allreferences listed must be cited in the body of the paper; all cited references must be listed on the reference page
Do not use excessive direct quotes from your references. The research paper is to be written primarily in your own words as you paraphrase and sum up what you have learned from your research.
Cite references to back up those statements and support your conclusions. Cite your references OFTEN. A page of written material with NO reference is not OK! A general guide is to have a reference cited for each paragraph or so.
You are reporting and summarizing FACTS, not your opinions. Avoidfalling into the trap of writing a \”how to manual\”. Clues that you may be doing this are sentences that say \”The nurse should always…, You should…..\” \”Always check the medication label….\”, etc.
Plagiarism will not be tolerated and will result in a failing grade on the research paper.
Research Paper Grading Form, IOM Report/Calif Coalition
LITERATURE REVIEW/RESEARCH POSSIBLE POINTS
Quality of Research 5 ________
Relevant to topic; credible sources
Correlates to professional nursing practice
Breadth of Research 5 ________
Uses a variety of sources
Uses professional, well respected journals
Amount of Research 5 ________
Uses a number of sources (minimum of 8 of which
5 must be professional nursing journals)
Pertinent, relates to nursing practice, current 2 ________
Organization 20 ________
Well organized; introduction, well-developed body
of paper, Identifies significance to nursing practice
Uses sub-headings to clarify sections
Summary includes implications for nursing practice
& discussion of major points
Clearly Written 5 ________
Appropriate language usage, understandable,
Logical flow, clear, easy to follow
Impact on Health Care in the Unites States 5
Discusses potential and actual impact on Pt care and
future health of the nation.
Discusses the impact that these changes will have 13
on the nurse’s role (s)
Citing of References 5 ________
References are cited in body of paper using
APA format; credits authors properly
Contains all essential components: 5 ________
Cover page, table of contents, reference
page; double-spaced, word processed, 1 inch margins all sides
APA Style & Format is used consistently
Body of paper is 6 pages minimum, 5 ________
8 pages maximum
Handed in on time
Spelling, Grammar, Punctuation, Paragraphing 10 ________
No typographical, spelling, or
Grammatical errors; paragraphs cohesive with logical transitions
Sentences are complete & clear
Correctly written Using APA format 5 ________
All references cited in the body of the paper are
Listed on Reference page
TOTAL POINTS 90 _______
GRADE SHEET – include with paper
(Omission will result in minus two points) _______