Critical Paper – MADD article
- Read the attached article Putting MADD in Charge of America’s Highway
- via Link (Links to an external site.)
- or word document (listed below)
- Answer the following questions:
- 1) What is the issue? What is the conclusion?
- 2) What type of issue is this (Descriptive or Prescriptive)?
- 3) What are the reasons for the conclusion that the author gives?
- 4) What are 3 types of evidence the author uses? Give an example of each.
- 5) How good is the evidence?
- 6) Are there any words or phrases that are ambiguous? How does this harm the reasoning?
- 7) Are there any assumptions the author makes?
- 8) Are there any logical fallacies? If so identify the line(s) in the argument and explain how the author is using the fallacy.
- 9) Is the author a credible authority on the subject? If so, why? If not, why not?
- 10) How would you evaluate the editorial? Good, bad, why? Be sure to provide examples from the editorial to support your conclusion
Critical Paper Guidelines:
- Your paper should have a title that is centered on the top line.
- You should answer questions as they appear and label as such,
- 1) The issue is . . . , etc.
- 2) This type of issue is . . .
- Within each question write in paragraph format (no, not all answers will be a paragraph).
- All answers should be in complete sentences.
- Use your best critical thinking skills!
- This is considered a formal reading response – One of the main rules of writing formal, academic papers is to avoid using the second person, “You”. Formal papers should not address the reader directly.
- Use proper MLA format
Critical Paper Writing Tips:
- Read your Critical Paper response aloud to see if it makes sense, and to catch mistakes in grammar, spelling, and punctuation. Revisit the prompt. Did you answer every part of the question and provide examples?
- Please email me if you have any questions.
Issues are always formed in a question with a question mark at the end.use this site to help you find the issue, conclusion ect. https://www2.palomar.edu/users/cthomson/Thomsons120/S.G.%20ARQ%203%20Ans.htm