• Choose one article in the Readings in Philosophy textbook and answer the three questions at the end of that article. If there are more than three questions to an article, you just need to answer three.
• Remember that a copy of this textbook is available at the library reserve on the SJC Central campus for a two-hour in-library checkout.
• Do not submit a paper that you wrote for another class.
• Do not wait until the night before the assignment is due to get started. Otherwise, you will be overwhelmed.
• While you are free to read what other commentators have said about an article, I would like to read your interpretation/understanding of it.
• It is not necessary to cite an external article, as this is an assignment on reading comprehension and argument evaluation. However, feel free to quote or cite a reputable academic article, journal, or book, if you like, to support your argument. The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy and the Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy are examples of websites that contain academically reputable articles on philosophical topics (and the articles are free to access). Articles from other websites may be acceptable, but make sure you evaluate the trustworthiness of your online sources just like you would a print source.
• Watch your spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
o Include a title page with the name of article that you will be analyzing, class (e.g., “PHIL 1301.701”), your name, my name, semester, and the date. o Number and rewrite the questions that you will be answering.
o Times New Roman font (12 size)
o One inch margins
o Four to Six pages (or as close to the four page minimum as possible)
o Use of first person “I” is acceptable
o MLA or Chicago system of citation (if applicable)
• Grading Criteria: o How well did you understand the article, especially the main points that the author was trying to convey? o Did you summarize the author’s arguments in a way that was fair to him or her before criticizing it? o Are your answers clear and well-organized? o Did you answer the question fully? o Did you follow instructions?