Content analysis on leadership and management
Answer the following questions in a different color font or bold or italicize your text (pick one to differentiate your answers from the questions)
1. Think about a person who you believe to be a good leader. What are the 5 qualities that make you think highly of that personâ€™s leadership ability? Refer to Gardner’s Tasks of Leadership.
2. Relate a story or incident in which you believed this person demonstrated these leadership strengths.
3. Identify a person you believe to be a good manager. What are the management skills that make you think highly of that person’s management skills? Refer to chapter 3.
4. Relate a story that demonstrates his/her management skills.
5. Do you know someone who is a good follower? What are the qualities that make you think highly of that person’s follower-ship ability? Refer to chapter 3.
6. Relate a story or incident that demonstrates these abilities.
1. All nursesâ€™ jobs include some aspects of management, whether a staff RN or a nurse executive. Staff RNâ€™s, for example, manage/coordinate the care their patients receive that is provided by other disciplines. Compare the roles of staff nurses and individuals that have defined, legitimate authority â€œmanagerâ€ positions. Complete the â€œExamples of Management Functionsâ€ chart by describing one or more job activities a staff RN and Clinical Manager/Unit Manager would do. Your answers should illustrate that you understand the difference between a staff RN that incorporates management skills in his/her daily work, as compared to a manager in a â€œlegitimate authority/formal management positionâ€. Answers may vary based on your specific experience and what you have learned from required reading. Answers should also include substantive content (at least 2 to 3 sentences for EACH answer).
Examples of Management Functions
Function Staff RN Clinical Manager/Unit Manager
2. Ms. Innovative is responsible for the managerial oversight of a 16 bed ICU. Her responsibilities include 24/7 accountability for the unit. She is responsible for directing, controlling, staffing, and the overall management of the 16 bed ICU. Ms. Innovative reports to the Chief Nursing Officer/VP of Nursing.
Briefly (in a few sentences) describe whether Ms. Innovative needs to have leadership skills, management skills, or a combination of both leadership and management skills to succeed in her job/role? If you feel she needs to have both leadership and management talent, talk about what % of her job/role would likely involve leading versus managing.
Go to Leadership and Management Competence in Nursing Practice: Competencies, Skills, Decision-Making (Links to an external site.) read Ch 3 pages 31-35, page 44 starting at Followership to page 47.
Go to Emotional Intelligence (Links to an external site.)watch the video and read the content