Scenario:76-year-old female patient complains of weight gain, shortness of breath, peripheral edema, and abdominal swelling. She has a history of congestive heart failure and admits to not taking her diuretic, as it makes her â€œhave to get up every couple hours to go to the bathroom.â€ She now must sleep on two pillows in order to get enough air.
In the Case Study Analysis related to the scenario provided, explain the following
- The cardiovascular and cardiopulmonary pathophysiologic processes that result in the patient presenting these symptoms.
- Any racial/ethnic variables that may impact physiological functioning.
- How these processes interact to affect the patient.
Use APA format, reference classroom textbooks, peer-reviewed journals reflecting research done in last 5 years.
READ INSTRUCTION CAREFULLY
McCance, K. L. & Huether, S. E. (2019). Pathophysiology: The biologic basis for disease in adults and children (8th ed.). St. Louis, MO: Mosby/Elsevier.
- Chapter 32: Structure and Function of the Cardiovascular and Lymphatic Systems; Summary Review
- Chapter 33: Alterations of Cardiovascular Function (stop at Dysrhythmias); Summary Review
- Chapter 35: Structure and Function of the Pulmonary System; Summary Review
- Chapter 36: Alterations of Pulmonary Function (stop at Disorders of the chest wall and pleura); (obstructive pulmonary diseases) (stop at Pulmonary artery hypertension); Summary Review
Inamdar, A. A. & Inamdar, A. C. (2016). Heart failure: Diagnosis, management, and utilization, 5(7). doi:10.3390/jcm5070062