Technology Solution Proposal: Using the textbook and external resources, write a short single-spaced paper 1-2 pages in length, not including References page and cover sheet, responding to the bulleted items below. Remember to correctly cite and reference your sources with APA format. Use the Grading Rubric to be sure you have covered everything.
Create a document that includes the following:
- In this assignment you have selected a process. This should be provided at the beginning of this paper to set the stage. At the beginning of your paper show:
PROCESS TO BE IMPROVED:__________________________
- Briefly explain the business process identified in Stage 1 and why/how it could benefit from an EHR system. (This should be done in 2 or 3 sentences.)
- Propose a specific certified EHR system. Note: It’s tempting to propose integrating lots of new technology but focus on a single solution that you would expect to improve the process you identified and modeled.
- To accomplish this, you will need to look up the up-to-date list of certified complete EHRs on the ONC website at the following URL and then complete the steps that follow:http://oncchpl.force.com/ehrcert/
- You will want to search using the following search criteria, each step on a separate page:
- Selected Edition Attestation: 2014
- Select “Browse All Products”
- Select Practice Type: Ambulatory
- Check box at top of chart “See Complete Products Only”
- Review some of the EHRs that are listed there, and select one that addresses the process area you identified for improvement in Stage 1. You could refer to the “Certification Criteria,” in Content>Course Resources, to align the process area you chose for Stage 1 with an appropriate EHR solution that addresses that process area. (Note that not all EHR systems address all process areas.)
- You will then provide in your paper the following bulleted information on the certified EHR that you have selected:
- Product: ___________________
- Version: ___________________
- Additional Software Required: ___________________
- Certifying Body: ___________________
- CHPL Product Number: ___________________ *you can find this number by clicking on the name of the EHR which will open “Certification Criteria Detail View”
List the major hardware, software and communications (including local connectivity and internet access, if appropriate) components that will be needed. Once you have selected your EHR system in Step 3 of this assignment, you need to visit the vendor’s website to see the major hardware/software requirements. How many of each you list is dependent on the solution you propose, but the important components needed to implement your proposed solution should be included. For example, you may have one PC for the front desk and one for each of the 3 examination rooms, and they will have to connect to some system somewhere. Or you may decide to have 1 PC for the front office, and a tablet or laptop for each of the doctor and the two nurses, also connected to some system somewhere. Your list should be applicable to your proposed solution, to your proposed improved process, and be appropriate for the UMUC Family Clinic. (Remember, there is currently no information technology implemented at the clinic other than the outdated scheduling software.) You will also need to specify if your EHR system will be installed on the clinic computer equipment or if it will run as “Software as a Service” (SaaS) via the Internet. (For a definition of SaaS, please see the note in the box below.) You will need to evaluate the clinic’s needs and the vendor’s offering. There are advantages to selecting SaaS for smaller clinics, like reducing the need for an IT staff, but it also comes with a price tag. You will need to provide the reasoning behind your selection. Explain how the proposed technology solution will improve the process, quality of care, safety, and/or financial management decisions at the UMUC Family Clinic.