As a provider, using evidence-based practice is key. It is crucial to complete continuing education and stay up to date on all relevant information pertaining to the field. There are several ways a provider can stay up to date; conferences, journal subscriptions, and professional memberships are a few examples. However, it can be time consuming- and overwhelming- to keep up on current literature. The purpose of this assignment is to efficiently evaluate and locate reputable information.
- Choose one of the following â€œEncore Presentationsâ€ from the NEI website to watch**:
- Diagnosis and Treatment of Postpartum Depression (Presenter: Rona Hu, MD)
- Counting Sheep: Improving the Recognition and Management of Insomnia (Presenter: Jade Wu, PhD, DBSM)
- Address the following questions/prompts:
- Describe 3 points/concepts you learned from the presentation (include details for each concept)
- Discuss 2 things you found particularly interesting from the presentation
- Identify 1 question you still have about the presentation content
- This question can be specific or broad, but should be a reasonable question for a graduate-level student
- Search the literature for an answer to your question (the question in 2c). Select a peer-reviewed journal article that answers your question (or discusses why there is no answer, if this is the case). Using this article:
- Summarize the answer to your question
- Discuss how this information is applicable to your future practice. (You may use more than one article, though it is not required).
**To locate the videos, access your account on the NEI website. Click â€œMy NEIâ€ on the gray toolbar that runs horizontal across the page. Then, go to â€œCongress Encore Presentations.â€ There is a Search button in the top right of the screen.
GO TO neiglobal.com
to log in
email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
This article is not nursing specific but discusses how to read an article:
- Art of reading a journal article: Methodically and effectively https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3687192/ (Links to an external site.)
- Subramanyam R. (2013). Art of reading a journal article: Methodically and effectively. J Oral Maxillofac Pathol.,17(1):65-70. doi:10.4103/0973-029X.110733.