Evidence-Based Practice Capstone Project Guidelines and Rubric
As a culminating experience, this Capstone Project provides the opportunity for the student to synthesize
information gained in the baccalaureate program educational journey. Students create a culminating project that
contributes to nursing practice, uses evidence-based resources, utilizes teaching skills, addresses public health
competencies, and analyzes how the identified issue and interventions impact the health of the affected
1. Exhibit leadership by coordinating culturally-competent, comprehensive client-centered nursing care while
implementing theoretical and historical knowledge of the nursing profession.
2. Utilize evidence-based knowledge and leadership skills while proposing different approaches for evidence-
based practice in nursing.
3. Exhibit clinical reasoning and decision-making skills while integrating theoretical, historical, cultural, and
4. Demonstrate commitment to the future of nursing by possessing leadership in the profession, and in
organizational, local, and global nursing environments.
5. Communicate effectively and therapeutically through technology, written and verbal work.
6. Analyze and exhibit knowledge of professionalism to identify quality improvement measures when appropriate
and promote standard safe practices in nursing environments.
7. Exhibit effective interprofessional and intraprofessional collaborative teamwork resulting in positive
professional working relationships within teams, systems, and groups.
Assignment Total Points
The Evidence-Based Practice Capstone Project is worth a total of 340 points.
In this Evidence-Based Practice Capstone Project, the student will choose a topic that is:
1. Supported by evidence-based research
2. Will promote improvement of patient outcomes
3. Can be implemented and utilized to educate colleagues in the clinical setting
(NOTE: This is not an implemented project but rather a proposal idea for a project; you will not
be conducting research in this class.)
When considering a topic for the Capstone Project, consider the following:
1. Are there evidence-based clinical practice guidelines to support the topic being investigated?
2. Is there enough evidence in the literature to support the chosen topic and proposed changes/interventions
that will be presented in relation to the topic?
3. How the project would be implemented and what effects it might have.
4. How the information that they learn from the topic will be disseminated (e.g. to colleagues within their
unit and/or clinical agency where employed, nurses within the community, at a local, state, or national
1. Review the Grading Rubric for each section to be developed (less points are given for assignments
already given credit for in discussion weeks).
2. The assignment must be written using Microsoft Word (a part of Microsoft Office) using Times New
Roman font, font size of 12, and saved as a MS Word document ending in .docx.
3. The length of the paper is to be no less than 12 full pages and no greater than 18 full pages, excluding the
title and reference pages.
4. APA format is required throughout.
5. Use the following headings in your paper.
b. Background Analysis
c. Literature Review.
d. Objectives and Strategies
e. Outcomes and Evaluation